Sunday, June 1, 2008

Weekend at the Buffalo




Finally.....my first experience at "The Buffalo" with the Vineyard gang.... You have to realize that this event is notorious for non-stop fun and adventure! I have heard about it since I started going to Vineyard about 2 years ago. And what the heck?? Two years?? Ask anyone there and they would NOT be able to attest that I have, in fact, been there that long...we'll get to that later....

Last year I remember thinking about going, but quickly dismissed it from my mind. I had a bad experience canoeing in my past, so of course I was a bit nervous about the whole idea in general. Even more so, I was scared of being in an environment where I would spend a large amount of time hanging around with people I didn't know, doing something I hadn't done in decades....Later, I remember thinking that I missed out when I heard everyone talking about it. I've noticed lately that I've missed out on alot of things because of my fears.

I can't say that it was the best experience of my life, but it was pretty fun, and I'm glad I went. I wanted to be able to spend some time with Leah, Kyle, and Amber....some people that I wish I had gotten to know sooner. There were lots of laughs, squeals, inappropriatenesses (that's for Leah), sunburns, smores, tears, pancakes, jokes, rumors, and NICKNAMES....

But it was messy for me too. Most people there still don't quite know how to "take" me...I admit that my emotions have been high strung for some time, dealing with (or not) issues in my life and I tend to be defensive, sarcastic, brash, complaining, and avoid vulnerability. I want to be known for who I am instead of being known for all the defense tactics I use to hide. It's sad that most of my time at Vineyard I have been invisible and not let myself know others, for fear of my own exposure. Maybe this trip was a step in the right direction.....

4 comments:

Lora said...

for the record, Tamantha, I can attest you've been there at least two years. Long hair, nose ring, and funky glasses come to mind. We had a charming little art show field trip as I recall.

Newly and Forever, Tamantha said...

Ah yes.....the old me...I miss her....

Anonymous said...

Dude...yeah...I remember when you first came. You wore this funky retro shawl, cool black glasses, and I wanted to be your friend. Too bad I wasn't invited on the art show field trip. Lora probably didn't want me there :-).

I still think you're not giving the Buffalo enough credit. I'm going to bug you about it until you say it was the best weekend of your LIFE. Next time, we're bringing peeps for peeps s'mores.

Newly and Forever, Tamantha said...

I'm bringing her back....and I def think the peep smores are the best idea ever......In fact, we should come up with a cookbook of Peep recipies.......